Macedon Town Board – Thursday, July 12, 2012
Request to administer grant for Hops crop
A regular meeting of the board was called to order at 7:30 PM in the Macedon Town Hall. Meeting minutes from the June 14, 2012 meeting were approved as presented. Monthly Reports from the Town Historian for May and June Report, the Macedon Police June Report, the Town Clerk’s June Report, and the Building & Zoning’s Quarterly Report were also approved. No public comments were offered.
Mr. Bob Bundschuh, a resident and business owner in the town came before the board seeking sponsorship of the town to apply for a New York State Grant to begin a hops crop. Due to recent NYS legislation allowing breweries on farmlands, Mr. Bundschuh explained his initial crop would begin with 2 acres with plans to expand to 10 acres of his total of 66 acres shortly thereafter. Long term plans include a full brewery and the possible sale of any unused hops. He further explained that the town’s role would only be administering the grant and providing vouchering guidance, as per the regulations of the Agricultural Development Program. Mr. Bundschuh also offered $4,000 to the town to offset any clerical costs the town may potentially incur, and is seeking $35,000.00 in grant funding to begin the hops crop and to purchase a mechanical picker. The board then approved authorization for Bundschuh‘s Greenhouses to apply for funding via the AG Development Program.
Approved resolutions were as follows:
• Approval of a rabies response notification to be sent to Wayne County, explaining that the Town of Macedon will no longer be providing rabies response for non-domestic/wild animals, as since the county is now providing this service to the town.
• Referral to the Macedon Town Planning Board and the Wayne County Planning Board for a Special Use Permit from TJJK Properties LLC to operate a seasonal campground at #997 NYS Route #31
• Approval to schedule a Public Hearing to be held on Thursday, August 9th at 7:35 in order to receive public comment regarding the special use permit application
• Appointment of Ms. C. Anne Stahr to the position of Library Board Member, effective June 28, 2012-December 31, 2016
• Approval of a Fee Schedule amendment for campground fees
• Acceptance of the resignation of Ms. Dennine Leeson, with regret. Councilman Maul commented that he is “Sorry to see her go.” and Supervisor Hammond noted that Ms. Leeson is “well deserving of the opportunity to become the sole assessor for the Town of Walworth. We wish her well.”
• Adoption of the Walworth Sewer Local Law #6, allowing ease for Out of District Users to hook onto the Gananda Sewer District
• Payment of Claims for expenditures totaling $163,404.93
• Appointment of Mr. William Camblin as a full time Highway Employee, effective July 23, 2012 at a pay rate of $16.50 per hour.
• Appointment of a part time Police Officer recruit to the Macedon Police Department of Officer D’Amato, at a pay rate of $12.50 per hour.
During the Round Table portion of the meeting Councilwoman Pagano reported that anyone who wishes to advertise in the Macedon Messenger should contact the Macedon Town Hall. She further noted the publication is expected to be distributed the 3rd week of September.
Councilman McEwen presented some revised artwork for future new town welcome signs. Additional changes were suggested, and Mr. McEwen will continue to work on the task.
Town Clerk Judy Gravino reported that a 5 hour DEC Training was completed this week.
Supervisor Hammond reported that as it stands currently, he has been notified that the work which needs to be done on the Wayneport Road Bridge may not be done this year. He also noted that the town is in the process of planning an electronics drop-off day at the Town Barn in October. He also reported that a joint board meeting will be held with the Gananda Central School District Board of Education and Macedon Town Board on Thursday, August 9th at 7:45. Lastly Supervisor Hammond reported that an open house will be held at Alpco on Tuesday, July 31st from 3:00-7:00. The event is a free with demonstrations of the gas generator plant, refreshments, and tours of the land fill. The Police Department and ambulance will also be on site as well.
Police Chief John Colella presented his monthly report, noting the month of June was a busy one, with 30 arrests, 547calls for service, and 149 traffic tickets. He also reported that he spoke with the film directors of a movie being filmed locally titled “An Impossible Choice”, which will be filmed on Monday, July 16th, around 5:30 in the evening at the Canandaigua Road Bridge. Lastly Officer Colella reported on the annual bike trail ride which passed through town with 500 cyclists, comprised from 3 different countries was a “great success”, and provided great public relations for the town.
No other business came before the board and the public meeting was adjourned at 8:30 PM, and the board then met in Executive Session for a personnel issue. The next regular meeting of the Macedon Town Board will be held on Thursday, August 9th, at 7:30 PM in the Macedon Town Hall.
By Becky Block