Williamson School Board – March 28, 2012
Budget Discussion, will remain flat
The March 28, 2012 meeting of the Williamson Central School District Board of Education was opened by President Michael Collins. Superintendent Ehresman reviewed the budget development process to date. She indicated that the district will be informed about how much state aid will be provided by the end of the week. The district’s budget will remain flat this year. The cuts that have been made over the last two years due to the decrease in state aid were reviewed. The district has lost $2.3 million in state aid over the last few years and will lose an additional amount of $473,000 in federal aid this year. The district also has to limit the amount of money raised from taxes this year due to the newly enacted tax cap. The cuts for this year will include a .5 library media specialist, decrease in Math AIS and the loss of one reading teacher. Also being cut are field trips, assemblies and some modified sports. The district is also looking at implementing some bus stops for students. As soon as the final state aid numbers are provided by New York State, the final decisions will be made. Budget information can be found on the district’s Facebook page. It appears at this time that the estimated rate increase will be 1.28% per thousand assessed or $.29 per thousand assessed.
The Board approved several CSE Case Summaries and heard reports about the French Club’s trip to France in December and the Robotics Club at the high school.
Under the Consent Agenda, the Board accepted the retirement resignations of the following individuals:
• Retirement of Jeanne Cole, Bus Driver, effective June 30, 2012, 31 years of service
• Retirement of Sandra Buerman, Teaching Assistant, Elementary School, effective June 30, 2012, 25 years of service
They also approved several substitutes, and the change in appointment of Chad Smith from .66 Physical Education Teacher to Long-Term Substitute for Jessica Craft, Physical Education Teacher, High School and the extra-curricular appointment of Chad Smith, Intramural Coordinator.
Under Old Business, the board approved the second reading of Policy 8152 – Password Protection, and the second reading for elimination of Policy 8170 – Request for Part 100 Variance or Part 200 Innovative Program Waiver from Commissioner’s Regulation and Policy 8203 – Fire and Arson Prevention Instruction.
The Board discussed the budget and Under New Business, the Board approved the following:
• Instructor fees for the Adult Education 2012 Spring Semester
• Middle School Travel Club trip to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 6-8, 2012
• Contract with the Williamson Faculty Association for July 1, 2012 through June 30, 2015
• Amendment to the previously approved half time leave of absence for Loren Miller, Math Teacher, Elementary School to an unpaid leave of absence for the period of August 29, 2012 to October 1, 2012
• Retirement/resignation of Loren Miller, Math Teacher, Elementary School, effective October 2, 2012, 21 years of service
The Board also discussed summer board workshop dates.